Extensions are a new method for developing new changes/modifications in Dynamics Nav 2017 - 365 Business Central. This is the mandatory method for creating developments in Dynamics 365 Business Central. Extensions development requires the confirmation of your 365 BC version number, available on the About Dynamics NAV help window.
Extensions are managed in Dynamics Nav / Dynamics 365 Business Central within the feature called Extension Management. For 365 BC cloud servers they are added through the web interface. In the on-premises version of 365, extensions can be added through NAV's Administration Shell. From the Extension Management page, users can then install / uninstall extensions as they see fit.
As to what extensions may be, please see developments section.
Extensions are available for purchase / download from the Microsoft Application store via a weblink in NAV 365 BC.
This page refers to Extensions development specifically for your Dynamics Nav / Dynamics 365 Business Central application.
Extensions developments have a couple of pre-requisite requirements.
Development of extensions is done through the Microsoft Visual Studio Code application. This application requires an active connection to either a cloud or an on-premises NAV 365 BC server. This is required in order to ensure that Visial Studio Code has all the correct references to existing table/report/page/etc. objects on your database.
So for a cloud database, we would need your cloud server connection details in order to be able to develop an extension.
For on-premises versions of NAV 365 BC we have 2 options for developing extensions:
- We could use a back-up of your live database to develop the extension at our office.
- We could remotely access your NAV 365 BC database server, install Microsoft Visual Studio Code onto the server and develop the extension there.
Once the extension development is complete we can then deliver the extension.
From you, we will need:
- Confirmation of your requirements.
- Confirmation of your Dynamics Nav / 365 Business Central version number.
- To know if your NAV application is either based in the cloud or if it is the on-premises version.
We will then:
- Provide a change request document, detailing the changes we will make and containing a fixed- price quote for the change.
- Discuss and confirm the delivery method for extension with you.
- Start the development of the extension after the quote is approved.
We will add more links as we come across them.
Here we will include any hints and tips for developing extensions. Visual Studio Code is not the easiest tool to use but it is an industry standard.
Extension development in Visual Studio Code still mostly uses C/AL language and syntax, with some elements removed as they are redundant in Visual
We can help develop and publish an extension specifically to your requirements.
Contact us and confirm your requirements. We will then send on a quote.